Monday, November 24, 2008

back on some meds - again

Well, last week sometime my husband very tentatively informed me that he could really use some more help around the house, dishes, packing school lunches, etc. He was worn out. And I don't blame him. And I don't know how to explain how completely paralyzed I sometimes feel when faced with these tasks. How something so simple can overwhelm me and it's as if my whole being has been sucked out of me. It's all I can do to move. I don't know how to explain how terrible I feel for not doing more, and the guilt, and the shame - and how all of that piles on top of me and makes it even more difficult to actually move and do anything at all. I just felt really bad.

Also my 4 yr. old son has been diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety disorder, expressive language disorder and possibly sensory processing disorder. And I need to be a better parent to even begin to tackle all the tasks that lie ahead in getting him help. I have to be a more patient, and understanding, and organized mom. And I can't do it if I am depressed.

So I made an appointment with my Dr. last Thurs.

We discussed different options and medications for nearly an hour, and finally decided to try a lower dose of Paxil than I had taken before and combine it with a low dose of Wellbutrin and hope that the combination of the 2 can help me. The idea, I guess, is that the Wellbutrin will help with the depression, the Paxil will help the anxiety and the lower doses of each will hopefully not give me so many negative side effects, but combine together to be effective for me. We'll see. I started on the 12.5 mg of Paxil on Friday, then I after a week or so, I will add in the Wellbutrin.

I'll try to keep you updated.

3 comments:

Polar Bear said...

Hope the med combination will work for you. Sometimes it takes a long time before you find the right ones.

Aqua said...

Hi Deepblue,
PB is right it can take a while sometimes to find the right combo of meds. I really hope you are one of the ones whose medication combo works.

Remember it can take up to six weeks for the SSRI's SNRI's to affaect your mood in any way, and if you have su=ide effects they often go away after a few days, or sometimes a few weeks. If the meds don't work, sometimes an increase in dosages can help. I'm chherring for you!

Aqua said...

Hey Deepblue,
Haven't seen you post for a while. I hope it is because the medicine is helping so much that you are too busy living your life to post. Just want you to know I am thinking of you.
...aqua