Sunday, August 10, 2008

Medication Tally - a Summary

In answer to Aqua's comment to my most recent post, here are the SSRI's I have tried (in quick summary):

1. Paxil - took from May 2003 - Sept 2005 (?) something like that. It worked well for me, ecxept for side effects getting on and off (dizzy, sloshy brain, constipation), and sexual side effects the entire time.

2. Zoloft - started June 2006, I think. I broke out in a rash all over my face and spreading to my neck, torso and arms. So I stopped after about a week. And it took a couple weeks for the rash to go away. It was so terrible!!!! It felt like a rough sandpaper texture and it hurt to touch it. And my skin was blotchy and red and looked terrible, as well. The pharmacist said it probably was an allergic reaction, either to the med itself or to the dyes in the medication. Either way, I never want to risk that again.

3. Celexa - started June 2008 (was it June?, I'm not sure) I felt a little more numb and like I wasn't thinking straight and I had a headache every single day for the month I was taking it and it gave me hot flashes, so my Dr. suggested I try switching to . . .

4. Prozac - July 2008. The Prozac made me incredibly shaky, sometimes I would just try to shake my arms and legs to kind of shake off the shakiness, which doesn't seem to make sense, but somehow it felt like it might bring some relief. I couldn't stay still, because I felt like I was trembling and crumbling. And I felt worse physically than I had been feeling emotionally. And I couldn't take care of my kids very well because I just felt so miserable!! So I just stopped taking it after a couple weeks. I couldn't take it anymore.

So, in summary, each one I've tried affected me a little differently in terms of side effects. A couple different Dr.'s have wanted to give me Wellbutrin. One said it would conteract the side effects of the Paxil - but I really didn't want to add more to the mix at the time. And my sister took Wellbutrin and said that it made her more agitated and anxious - and I certainly don't need that!! My mom has taken Prozac and Zoloft and she says she never notices any side effects (really, never? nothing? I'm surprised). And my dad took Paxil.

So there's that. I know there are more SSRI's I could try (I think?) and then the SNRI's (is that what they're called?) and other anti-depressants, in other classifications, etc. But I haven't gotten up the courage to go back to my Dr. I never did go back and tell him I stopped the Prozac. Anyway - I am trying to organize my thoughts to write a post on my opinions on using medication for depression or anxiety. Hopefully that will be coming soon.

Thanks again, Aqua, for offering your thoughts. I appreciate it.

2 comments:

Aqua said...

Hi Deepblue,
Medications and whether you want to try them are a deeply personal issue. I sometimes wonder if I'm doing the right thing by keeping trying to find that magical mix. I do feel better than I did this time last year, not good, but better. Not sure if it's worth it, except I am sure I wouldn't be volunteering, or creating art without it...so who knows.
Take care,
...aqua

Anonymous said...

My name is Daniel Wilson and i would like to show you my personal experience with Celexa.

I am 27 years old. I took this drug on and off for 3 years (2 years on, 1 off). It definetely helped my anxiety. The major side effect was the weight gain. Trying the new version (Lexapro) now. I'm hoping it will have better side effects.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
Weight Gain, diarrhea.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Daniel Wilson

Celexa Side Effects