Friday, September 12, 2008

is it just me?

Last night at my bookclub, a saying was brought up that I have heard before. It goes something like this:
that you wouldn't worry so much about what other people think of you, if you realized how little they really do think of you.

And the thought seems to be for most people that this is a bit of a relief. That most people are so much involved in their own life and their own problems, that they don't have time to even think of other people, much less think ill of them, in their daily life.

But I find this thought depressing. Really? No one ever thinks of someone else? No one ever has the time to think of me? No one cares what I say or not say? That's supposed to make me feel better? And maybe I'm just more judgmental than the average person, but I think I do think of other people and wonder what their motives are and what they are thinking. We can't just live in a bubble can we? And go on our merry way and pretend like no one is listening or watching or caring or thinking? Is that what we want?

It just makes me feel very alone. And I will still wonder what people might think of me. Whether they are actually thinking of me at all - or not.

No comments: