Tuesday, September 16, 2008

St. John's Wort: Take 2

Well, in desperation, I've decided to start taking the St. John's Wort again, since I already have an opened bottle. The bottle I have of Nature's Way Herbal supplement says to take 2 capsules, 350 mg each, twice a day. But it doesn't give a percentage of active ingredient, so I don't know. I also don't know how regulated this particular brand is.

Anyway - I decided that rather than doing nothing, at least I could try something. Again. I need to go back to my doctor. And sometimes I think about trying to find a counselor again. But finding babysitters and the stress of it all oftentimes persuades me not to. I know that's probably not a very good excuse. And $$$$.

In the brief research I did this morning (google search), I thought it was interesting that some research says that St. John's Wort acts as an SSRI and some say it acts as an MOA-inhibitor. Wouldn't it be important to know which is right? One site even recommended avoiding foods like cheese, wine, yeast, etc. that you are supposed to avoid when taking MOAI's. Yikes!

2 comments:

Aqua said...

Hi Deepblue,
Can you ask ither your pdoc or your pharmascist about any dietary restrictions with St. Johns Wort? Pharacists are full of medcation/supplement info and all their advice/info is free. Good luck.
...aqua

deepblue said...

good idea - I'll call the pharmacist